Tuesday 23 February 2010

Calling all Barton eateries!

Having been inspired, or rather, shocked at yet more revelations about our food industry on 'Britain's Disgusting Foods' programme on BBC1 last night, I am starting a search for Barton's most ethical food establishment.

I find it difficult to get good Vegetarian options in the town. I was even laughed at when asking about a getting a vegetarian cooked breakfast in a popular cafe. 'Ha ha, what will you have then.. eggs?'. Such ignorance will not make me part with my pennies and I wonder if any other Bartonians care about the state of our food retailers in the local area?

What do I mean by ethical? Well, do you use locally sourced vegetables? Is your chicken free range? Your Pork outdoor reared? Your eggs free range? We have a few Battery Chicken farms in the local area and I for one do not want to support them.

I am concerned that noone will get back to me on this, so I offer a super-duper Blog entry to the most ethical food establishment in the town. Post your comments below. Get in touch and I will come and visit you, so you can show me how ethical you are.

I look forward to hearing from you all!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, very interesting read!
    I proudly run a very succsessful coffee shop in Barton upon Humber. We offer 75% vegetarian food most of which is locally sourced.
    Free range eggs from Ulceby, locally sourced fresh fruit and vegetables.Milk from Roes farm dairy in Barrow, Ice-cream from Skipsea, coffee which is locally roasted and Pipers crisps which are made fom locally grown potatoes. We also offer a full range of fair trade teas, coffees chocolate and home made cakes all made with free range eggs.
    Where ever possible we try to use local suppliers as we believe this reflects well upon the region and provides visitors with a true taste of lincolnshire.
    We are aware of our carbon footprint and try to keep food miles to a minimum.
    Amanda Foster Coffee shop Manager
    The Ropery Coffee Shop Barton Upon Humber.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for your comment. The Blog shall be conducting a questionnaire with all establishments in the town soon, about where they source their food from. We will be in touch!

    ReplyDelete